Wednesday, November 12, 2014

2014 National Fossil Day notes from students!

I got a stack of thank-you notes in the mail today from students who attended our 2014 National Fossil Day celebration at the Museum. Some are fun, some are cute... and most of them got something positive out of the experience! Learning! Hurrah! Mission accomplished! (I have corrected some spelling and punctuation in the following quotes.) Enjoy!


- "I loved our visit to the Sternberg Museum. It was historical fun and filled with honesty and good people."

- "I thought you could only study bones from the outside, and not the inside, and I did not  know that bird bones are hollow and help them fly."

- "I liked the soft shell turtle. It was so cute. And the hog nose snake too. That fat toad was funny, and that gray thing in the fish tank, was that an eel or an axolotl? All those little snails are so cute. The little mice are so cute. Do you feed the snakes with them?"

- "I can't wait to come back next year."

- "I also learned that bugs have exoskeletons, which means their skeletons are on the outside."

- "I learned that on an alligator bone you can count the rings to see how old it was."

- "I liked the dead penguin legs. I also liked the animals that were downstairs. But my favorite was the penguin legs." *Accompanied by a drawing of what it takes to dig up fossils: Shovel, rake, sweat, dirty hands*

- "I learned that horses used to have three toes."

- "It was cool when we got to look inside the microscope. Today was the best day ever. I also learned that horses used to have 3 toes. I think that is crazy. I have so much that I learned I don't think I can fit it all."

- "My favorite was the mosasaur dug up by the Quinter (high school) kids. The mosasaur was really cool."

- "Thank you for taking your time to teach us about bones. I learned that if you didn't have bones you would be kind of like a puddle."

All the feels! :-)

No comments: